Iceland Church

Iceland Church

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Fall Break Lessons from Penntucky






So Fall break…if I didn’t blog about the amusement that is my family, friends, and Penntucky….well…that would just be unfortunate. So what did I learn?

First off I learned the lengths my mother will for a good deal.

During the end of summer/after the back to school sale at JCPenny’s my mother digging through the sales rack discovered a pair of shorts for $1.55. When the clerk rang up her order the shorts tallied to a total of $2.77. Now…I would look at this and be like whatever…but no….my mother asks her to check again and ultimately walk back to the randomly thrown sales clothes to find another pair of shorts to prove they are actually $1.55. In the end the lady didn’t check, but just totaled them as such and move on in life…did I mention my mother also got a 15% discount for using her JCP charge card? Yes…yes she did get a whole 15% off of her $1.55 pair of shorts.

So what does this teach us….next time you pay that $13.99 for a pair of JCP womens shorts…please remember….some lady you read about in a blog paid $1.55 for those exact same shorts…also…think about this. What you pay on sale…still makes profit for these stores. And they are willing to put them on sale for about $2. $2 probably does not make them profit…but still…think about it. The value of objects…

During this shopping excursion 3 ladies asked me for store directions…they thought I worked there. A sales rep who saw this almost fell over laughing after the 2nd lady asked me for help. Generally (especially in MN) I seem slightly bold and frightening…but not in PA…oh no…I look to be the friendliest of all the sales reps and I’m not even one of them.

A note about my father. One night he decided he would show me pictures of his life. They basically consisted of his time in the Marines, hunting, and his little girl. Sure…now he is a more cuddle bear….but it is still important to note…trained to battle, likes to hunt, and Loves his little girl. ;)

In my family-an extended family of hundreds in my area- I would like to note this one important rule. It is absolutely imperative that even if you do not recognize the person or your relation to that person that you say hello and inquire about life. If you do not you risk offending even the most gentle of relatives…. which may offend other relatives and end you up in a pickle. Yes…I said pickle….welcome to Penntucky…we “red up our rooms” use a “sweeper” not a vacuum…and wear our Steelers gear to church on Sunday (which is actually totally appropriate in many churches of the area). Which leads to my next thoughts…

This Sunday I was part of the worship band at a church in Youngstown Ohio. Crossroads Community Church. The theme was linked to football and the staff and congregation wore their jerseys to the service. Now picture this…I thought it was slightly hysterical considering I grew up going to a school where maybe you had one kid brave enough to wear a browns Jersey. The worship team consisted of 4-5 different Jerseys…three being Steelers. right next to a guy wearing a Browns Jersey. If this were PA….I feel something would have been thrown. ☺ All in good taste…..(I hope).

To the guys in the band…I experienced a lot of “guy” moments this weekend. No worries...I’ve been the one girl in a lot of “all guy” bands…and really if you are in a band ...you have to be close enough to experience those flatulent moments human beings have…☺ Even during group prayer, and practice, and before Sunday service prayer…etc. I'm only sad I wasn't able to return the favor :)
But on a serious note…thanks to the fellows of the worship team…you were so much fun to worship with. Every one of you has a heart of gold…the fact that I was able to just show up and feel so welcomed…that’s just awesome. What you are doing in the kingdom is showing on your faces as Jesus shines through.
So on to a bigger subject. You know those moments when you know okay God wanted me here…just to hear this. Well that was my morning. This morning’s sermon just chucked out truth everywhere…and it covered a lot of topics. But really the whole morning reaffirmed one simple thing….its okay…suffering happens and will happen when your work is plowing through the darkness. If you live your life to battle…you battle. So its not a wonder that when things do come together for Gods Glory…troubles come. But God will be pleased with you (check out Romans 5:2-4& Romans 8:16-18 and 2 Cor. 1:5-7 & 1 Peter 4:12).
So I’m thinking…I have two months left…wow. I fly back to PA for Christmas…and technically all my semester long classes are done! I have 6 weeks of block and then internship. Gods working it out…I’m so excited for the possibilities…and really a close friend of mine Lindsay Beck said it exactly the way I see it right now….I get to go to work and worship…ever day. How much better does it get? My focus, my passion, my love, my job and life centered on worshiping and bringing others to worship. I want to give…every emotion I feel inside during worship to others and let them feel it too….that immeasurable love…love that brings you to your knees and wraps you in His arms. In order to battle the darkness and to be lit with the Holy Spirit in this world…we have to come before the cross…lay it down… humble…weep…and then stand with arms outstretched letting Him pour into us and give back the Glory for the work that can be done through us. He is waiting at the door…will you let Him in.?

No comments:

Post a Comment