Iceland Church

Iceland Church

Friday, January 14, 2011

The imaginary friend who is not imaginary



Today the topic of practice of prayer came up. A student in block asked “how much time should be devoted to prayer” The answer to this was not an answer at all on time…but what is prayer…what’s the interaction with God and how do we listen? The lyrics to you wont relent came into my mind where the song says “I don’t wanna talk about you…like your not in the room. I want to look right at you, I want to speak right to you.”

The student and professor continued  for a time…and when talking about time even mentioned how they may feel guilty for not spending enough time with God. Key word Guilt. We are human, we are sinners, in a fallen world we will never be able to give God the time He deserves because we are no perfect and often pull away from God in the moments of imperfection of our lives. So here are my thoughts for the guilty feelings.

The professor told a story of how his daughter at an early age would want to climb in his lap. It was a joyous moment for him…for the daughter to look up at Daddy and say “Up”. And for a moment they were enjoying each others presence. But 20 seconds or so later the daughter would say “down” and want to continue on her way.  This is where the story ended for the class. But I would argue that’s not the end. Yes God understands we do have to continue on our way after spending direct time with him….but did He just leave the room? “I don’t want to talk about you like you’re not in the room”. What the professor didn’t tell is how He did not just leave the room leaving his 2 year old daughter alone. He still cared, and his presence was with her watching and loving even when she wasn’t directly in his arms. Does our Heavenly Father just leave the room? Do we ask Him too, or do we ask Him to stay and just be with us through our other times.
I raised my hand in class to ask just those questions and state that I practice being God’s child…his daughter. I want to walk with Him and for Him to walk with me, hold my hand, wrap his arms around me, protect me…and just like I did when I was little with my earthly Father….I want to show off his mighty “big-ness”. My Father can move mountains! And he is for me, I am my Fathers Daughter.
The professor put this in terms I had not thought of. I practice prayer…but I practice the presence of God in my life. Its kinda like an imaginary friend who not imaginary. Mentioned was a man Brother Lawrence. Below is a link to a website to his works. He was a man who just practiced the idea that God was always there, that God walked with him in whatever he did….and apparently dishwashing and kitchen work was what Brother Lawrence did. I will say often hand washing the dishes is a key time when I spend time in God’s presence. It’s a time when you can be doing something productive but not really have to think hard when doing. So my inner conversation goes to a subject on my heart and I begin to deal it out with God, whether praises, frustrations, or just silent time listening.
I challenge you to walk in your day with God. Practice His Presence.  Find times when you can start the conversation or ask Him to be with you...even if its something as simple as washing the dishes. Become his child again. He wants to spend time with you, teach you, love you. Don’t let your relationship consist of 20 minutes then walking out the door without God. Ask Him to come with you.  Just being around a person can build relationship. Enjoying each others presence. Enjoy God’s…He wants to enjoy yours.
We discover what God’s plans are through these times when we get to know Him. We gain visions for the future, God plants people on our hearts, we discover who we are in His eyes. Lives can be transformed. There is no limit with our Father. Childlike faith.

  1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 “Rejoice always,  pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.”

http://www.practicegodspresence.com/brotherlawrence/index.html

No comments:

Post a Comment