Iceland Church

Iceland Church

Friday, March 11, 2011

Money vs God

There is a feeling of helplessness when you log into your online bank account to see that not only do you not have any money…but you have –dollars and no way to pay. Did I mention that the bank you bank with is also nowhere in the area you now live? And you have no other bank to thus transfer funds from into the money lacking account? Panic. Anger. Severe frustration. That was my day yesterday.
With the plan to close my account during internship I was not putting money into the account and letting the account sit with about $50 in it. When bill time came around I paid my bills but some small emergency spending caught me off guard putting me into the negative zone. By emergency I mean I almost ran out of gas and had no other card on me or cash to purchase the gas with except for that one bankcard. So I swallowed hard…and dug my hole and crawled in. The classy part about this whole story is that the bank I banked with had an overdraft protection system…that I paid $10 a month for….that technically I did not use because it only applied to a savings account…which I did not have. Did the bank catch that they were charging me for a service I could not even use…um no. Did the guy apologize sincerely when I called in to fix my financial situation? Yes. Did they do anything to refund that money or offer anything in compensation for their mistake? Nope. So bank account paid and cancelled.
So I am in Youngstown Ohio, finally moved to my host families place in Boardman and I officially have $175 to my name. The last time I had that little amount of money to my name was before I ever had my first job!
Luke 16:13 stays “No servant can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and Money.”
Two things I took from this verse…1. Its one or the other…God blesses some with money to be responsible for that money but with the attitude that it is His gift and to be used to glorify His kingdom and because of their understanding they are able to hold that financial situation. 2. Love one and hate one. Ever said to God “God why not me? Why did you not give me all the money like all those other people?” or even just try to make it for yourself any and every way that appears. I think of the ladies who sell Tupperware, candle, and a makeup line all at the same time….if not with more random products just with the idea they will get money quick and easy. Or you get that super great money making idea, but then a few months down the road that idea is just not catching anyone’s attention not even your own anymore.
Not going to lie I have thought this way many times. But I realize even again today that each question, each “if only I had the money…” is a remark of my distrust in God’s provision and promise for my life. When I see money as value I question God, when I see God as #1 value I question money.
Catching ourselves is the hard part. Sometimes that small money making scheme ends up in $400 worth of an investment that never produces an outcome but some dusty product sitting on a shelf unsold. Question....is what you are selling or pursuing a scheme to get rich quick? Or a tool that can be used in the kingdom of God while also making a few side dollars? There is a difference!

Investment takes time. Money earned takes time. If it is in God’s time though, money is not the focus, but a side outcome if it is part of the plan. This is how I view being part of Mary Kay. I can minister to women while also selling a product but not focusing on the product. I am able to focus on the care of the woman by listening, meeting one on one, even explaining the importance of taking care of the body-not just the skin-because the Bible tells us too. I focus God first, business second, and if money is an outcome then cool but it is not a focus. Many times I find the time well spent with the woman without selling a single product. God first money second.
I joined Mary Kay over a year ago because I wanted to work for myself while in college with an organization I could pair with womens ministry. The first month’s investment in MK that I made sold out and doubled my profit immediately! That of course took time and effort. I do not have an extreme story of how I made so much in the business and earned a pink Cadillac within my first year of selling MK. But I do have some words of wisdom of my time spent in the business that applies to all areas of life.
1. The time you put in is what you will get out. This is the #1 rule and is so true its scary. I would plan MK for 1 hour and get a sales call for an order before the hour was up! No joke. Or someone would seek interest in MK. After finally finishing my college courses I just began to work on MK again. Within the first day back working I got a text from a gal needing to place an order. Day two I got an email from a lady wanting to know more information about the business. And so on and so forth. This leads to my next point.
2. Everything you do deserves the effort put into it. In short, do not expect it to fall into your hands…and Do not pursue anything half hearted. See why the Luke passage is so true? If you have to pursue with all your heart then you can only pick one, money or God.
3. Whatever it is, ask God first. Sounds silly to some, but do you not think God wants to hear from us? If we find a passion in something, I promise He wants you to share it with Him. God always gave me peace when it was the right thing to do. Peace being that feeling of no matter what this will work out trusting it is in God’s hands and or He has a hand upon it. My internship was decided this way. I had a few churches spread out to pick from but none brought me a peaceful feeling. The cool thing is that the church I found, found me and God’s peace flooded my soul. It is in His hands.
4.Think about your gifts. What God has formed in you and the activities you love and may have loved all your life are meant to be used for His glory…and His glory can also be providing for you to prosper and have abundant life! Jeremiah tells us this. I am starting a voice studio not just because I can sing, but because I love to teach and watch others break out with confidence and a love for their own God personalized instrument. Think about this, God gave us each individual voices! That’s billions of different voices and though some may sound similar they are still personalized and owned only by one body. That is a lot of singing voices! Ever picture what it will be like in heaven with the choir of angels singing…and if we are there how many voices may be singing together all at once?! Slightly mind-blowing.
5. Just as God has given us gifts He expects us to cultivate those gifts and that cultivation process causes us to seek Him more. The more you seek the more you realize, eyes are opened, and what is meaningful is brought into perspective.

The point of this blog is not a guide too how to make money (what to not do and how to seek God not money) as much as it is a statement with life advice from a younger woman fresh into ministry learning a lesson on submitting to God. Everything I mentioned ran through my mind a thousand times in the past two days while I processed and found peace in a not-so-peaceful situation. Why try to control God? Who do I really think I am to think I can be in charge of making the money He did not provide me with? And how can I be so ungrateful for what I have received to question His blessings? That’s the beauty of the human nature in a fallen world. It is not important the blinded moments we have, but that we eventually refocus on God, Christ’s love and sacrifice, and listen to what the Holy Spirit has been waiting patiently to share with us.
I would like to end with this….whatever job or place you find yourself working in or not working in. Are you questioning God or trusting in His promise? God can use you anywhere, yes even in the line at the unemployment agency. God uses those with money and those without. Emptiness is found in a day where the outcome is money and only money….no matter what is gained or not gained. A day spent working for God’s kingdom is fulfilling with or without any pay. #theselessonswelearninHistime

Hebrews 13:5 “Keep your life free from the love of money, and be content with what you have.”
Proverbs 23:4-5 “Do not wear yourself out to get rich; have the wisdom to show restraint. Cast but a glance at riches, and they are gone, for they will surely sprout wings and fly off to the sky life an eagle.”
Prov 30:8-9 Give me neither poverty nor riches, but give me only my daily break. Otherwise, I may have too much and disown you and say, “Who is the Lord?” Or I may become poor and steal, and so dishonor the name of my God.”

More scripture to check out...

Mark 10:21-27.31
Luke 16:9-12
Ecc 5:10-15
Prov 11:4,28
Job 31:24-25.28
Eze 28:2-10
1Tim 6:5-9 10-12
James 1:9-11
Luke 9-25

No comments:

Post a Comment